Falls from Scaffold in New York City
5 Helpful Tips for a NY Scaffold or Ladder case
- File a report with the Site Safety Supervisor, your employer, your employer’s insurance company, and the State of New York.
- Obtain the names, addresses, and phone numbers of all witnesses to the accident.
- Obtain photographs of the accident site and your injuries.
- Obtain the names of the owner, general contractor, site safety supervisor, and any subcontractors responsible for the accident.
- Contact a New York construction accident lawyer immediately to protect your rights.
Too often construction workers are injured in falls from scaffolds and ladders causing devastating injuries. To protect construction workers, the law requires that scaffolds and ladders be properly placed and secured. Workers on scaffolds and ladders must also be provided with proper safety equipment.
O.S.H.A. and N.Y.S. Labor Laws help provide legal protection to construction workers who use ladders and scaffolds. Devices such as leaning ladders, A-frame ladders, baker’s scaffolds, suspending scaffolds, and supporting scaffolds all fall under the protection of the labor laws.
To protect workers, rungs on ladders must be shaped so that an employee’s foot cannot slide off and be skid-resistant. Scaffolding must be properly erected and maintained so that it is safe for NYC construction workers.
Strict time limitations exist to commence a lawsuit for a fall from a scaffold or ladder. In New York State, the time to commence such an action may depend upon who is injured, who the potential defendant is, as well as the enactment of new laws and judicial decisions interpreting the law. Computing the time limitations is not a simple matter and a person should promptly consult an experienced NY construction accident attorney.